I just finished a new lamp made out of a single long unbroken 35mm film strip.
After reading about something similar on
I used the transportation holes to sew the film strips to each other with fishing line. This was really slow work, took me over 6 hours to get it up to a height of 70 cm with an diameter of 22 cm. I used an old Ikea Storm lamp that I had in the attic as the frame. The paper shade was torn apart and the first and the bottom two rings were reused as bottom and parts of the top.
The pictures were made with a 60W 'retro-style' lightbulb inside that produces quite dim and yellow light. The bulb has a long glow filament which produces these strange zigzag patterns on the wall. With a smaller, brighter light source or some well placed leds the pictures on the film could appear on the wall I think.
Its not really useable as a light source now. But thats ok, this thing is not meant to produce anything else then mood light after all.
I planned to make another, much bigger one but the sewing really takes ages. Maybe if I find a faster way to connect the strips I have a go again...
Oh and: Pictures are jpegs strait from the camera, no tampering with the colors, this is really what it looks. =)
Update: More pics!